Thursday, May 14, 2009

An oasis

I had a few moments to kill yesterday before my physical therapy appointment so I strolled into a Barnes and Nobel. I almost become overwhelmed entering that store. Its such a haven to me, has been for some time, a place to relax and enjoy the pages of books and magazines. All the books though that call my name just are too numerous for me to imagine ever having the chance to enjoy. As I looked through the best seller section, I wish that I could just find a job where I could sit and read all day with a mocha frappacino by my side. Ahhh.

This is one thing I do miss about my pre-parenting days. The ability to read more then 2 books a year. Between work, child, house, the effort to read a book, is well, an effort.

But browsing through all the books brings a certain calm and serenity to me. Reading is just a pleasurable escape sometimes even an educational one.

I do enjoy the atmosphere of Barnes and Noble to that of Borders though Borders sends out coupons. Therefore, I browse B&N and end up buying at Borders. Get on the coupon train B&N!

I applied for a job at B&N several months ago. I really think it could have been a dream job. It was for Community Outreach Manager (or something like that) and the role planned events for the community and well did outreach. Hello! PERFECT FOR ME! I'd like to think that it didn't pay enough and that's why I was never called for an interview - I had to give a salary requirement.

I also enjoy B&N because I can sit in their cafe and read all the celebrity magazines that I don't want to pay for - you can't beat that!

Really, I've come to realize that a bookstore - as corporate as it is - has become an oasis for me. Now are they hiring?

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I love bookstores too! And bookstores love me and my credit cards!

Anonymous said...

This is, honestly, one of the reasons I want to work there. It just seems like such a relaxing environment. Okay, to chill in, to work in I'm expecting the same kind of rushes and thrills I got from the restaurant.

And apparently, the way to do it is get hired as a parttimer.