When I woke up on Friday, I knew I had a busy day ahead. A doctor's appointment for a back issue in the morning and then rushing back for a meeting - all while its snowing. I had lots of paperwork on my desk that needed finishing. It was just gonna be a long day.
The last thing I needed or expected was to be in the hospital ER later that day, waiting to have my appendix removed. The risk of that blowing up inside of you kinda puts work, and everything else, on the back burner.
The previous day, I started having some pain on the right side of my tummy area - near the belly button. Honestly I thought it was gas! When it was still there the next day, I mentioned it to my doctor. Long story short - exam, CT scan, ER, surgery.
I drove myself to the emergency room in a panic. I don't have a fear of the surgery as much as I have a horrendous fear of being put under. Scares the crap out of me. I call The Husband up telling him to meet me at the hospital. He says he's going to go pick up The Girl first and get her stuff and meet me there. I was annoyed at first. The Girl was safe and sound at daycare and she could be there until 5. My parents were already on their way up too - I needed my husband by my side because I was a wee bit frantic. Plus, how in the world would she be in an ER?
As I drove, I kept thinking, I didn't get to say good-bye to The Girl properly enough. What if I don't see her again? Those terrible thoughts that go through your head when you are thinking about your mortality. But it still didn't hit me.
I thought with a ticking time bomb inside of me, I would be rushed into the ER and then rushed up to surgery. Nope. Didn't happen that way. I don't know how they know but I'm assuming (they better have known) that I wasn't gonna burst at any moment. After an hour + in the ER waiting room, I got a bed in the ER. That's when The Husband came with The Girl and that's when it hit me.
He went and picked her up so I could see my baby before I went into surgery. For that, I am eternally grateful. I got to see her face, give her kisses and tell her once again, just how much her Mommy loves her.
The Girl saw me all hooked up to an IV, laying in a stange bed and she knew something was wrong. She had such a concerned look on her face and she wanted me to hold her.
Just the previous night, I had given her a bath. I was sitting on the edge of the bathtub and I twisted and turned in some odd way and ended up falling into the tub. Nothing serious - just stupid. But The Girl, who just saw it happen, she wasn't touched or hit or hurt as i slipped, screamed and screamed. But as soon as I got up and held her - she was okay. She was concerned about me.
Eventually, my parents took The Girl home with them and I finally got my appendix taken out on Friday night. I spent the night at the hospital and was released Saturday afternoon.
I'm sore but doing okay. Get this, the pain med actually work on me this time! Woo-hoo. I'm used to vicodin being more of a tic tac.
Thank you Husband for bringing her to me. 1+1 wasn't adding up at the time but you knew I needed to see her before I was put under. Good to know you know me so well.
9 comments:
I have spent my fair share of time in the ER since the holidays. I am glad that they were able to figure out that something was wrong with you and that you went into surgery "fairly" quickly. And yes, The Husband is a good husband and an awesome dad, I'm sure. Speedy recovery, dear!
Aww Sending you speedy recovery vibes!!
Freaky stuff. I'm glad you're okay!
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Glad everything turned out okay, and that you have such an awesome Husband :)
Awww! I'm so sorry you had to go through all that Sarah. Glad every thing turned out OK, in the end.
Get well soon!
I'm so glad that everything turned out ok! Crazy stuff! The husband is awesome and he knew what you wanted before you wanted it... wonderful man! :)
Sarah, being put under totally freaks me out too!! I've only been put under once (for the surgery on my ankle) and waking up after having lost the time all groggy and confused was awful!! And it was made 10X worse by the fact that I woke up alone. They didn't want to bring me to my mom until they knew I would wake up okay (which is that much more scary).
Anyway -- wow, what an ordeal!!! I'm so glad you are okay. And I'm glad you are able to see the screaming and the needing to be held for what it is; I'm glad The Girl is able to communicate how much she loves you in a way you are able to understand. :)
I hope you're feeling better soon.
Sorry to hear about your eventful weekend, to put it mildly. Hope you're enjoying some rest and recuperating time with your loving family.
WOW!! That is totally crazy but totally awesome how well he knows you :)
Hope you're feeling better soon!
Post a Comment