Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Hello : )

Yea, I haven't been here in awhile. Not quite sure why, I've thought about it many times. When I've had the chance to come on, I had absolutely no motivation to click on this webpage. I haven't even kept up with any of the blogs I follow. I guess I just needed some time away from this? I still don't get it/me.

Updates: Nothing major. Celebrated 5 years of wedding bliss this past Friday. The Girl is wonderful aside for a bit of sickness and throwing up in bed this past Sunday. I'm actually off of work all this week and have taken The Girl out of daycare to spend time with her.

On Friday afternoon, a therapist is coming over to evaluate The Girl's speech. I've been concerned about her being delayed for awhile now. When her doc told me not to worry about it, I actually did for a bit. That is until the daycare provider brought it up. She's doing really well - new words all the time but she's not really combining words "milk please". I got a referral and the state sends someone to our house to get evaluated. You automatically get speech & development. If she's 30% behind in speech, she qualifies for therapy and they would go out to her daycare.

I totally feel like the 2 people coming are going to be evaluating me as a mother. I know this is not true and they are there to watch and observe The Girl but I can't help it. I already feel like I don't know how to teach her and that's why she's behind (also probably not true).

I'm frantically cleaning the house so the therapist don't think the clutter is making her delayed. I want to make sure I have a variety of beverages to offer. I don't want to be the overbearing mother yet I don't want to be the completely hands off mother either. I never did tell you guys I was logical or rational, right? Because obviously, that totally would be a lie.

I also don't know what I'm hoping will come out of Friday. The Girl is very not talkative around strangers so I'm afraid they won't get a peep out of her - she will then be unfairly deemed delayed. But maybe getting therapy would be a great thing for her and I should be hoping that she has a speech delay?? I can talk circles around myself about this.

Well hope I still have some readers out there! Hope everyone is doing well. Gonna go catch up on some of your blogs now.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Good Luck with the cleaning and the evaluation!! :) And stop thinking about blaming yourself!

Julia said...

Well, as someone who studied language acquisition, I can tell you that if she is delayed, it has NOTHING to do with you as a mother. Kids don't have to be *taught* language, they just absorb it and start to produce it just because of sheer exposure. I'm sure you're talking to your daughter and to your husband when she's around. And I'm sure she's exposed to plenty of language at day care.

I've known a lot of kids who were language delayed. And the only result of it is that they started using some words a little bit later then their peers. It all equalizes by Kindergarden or so with or without intervention. Honestly, I think these evaluations and the speech therapy that goes with it only serves to produce stress in the parent. I'm not telling you not to do it, because maybe it will help and it certainly won't hurt. I guess the point I'm trying to make is: don't worry. Whatever the outcome of all this, The Girl will be fine and whatever these people see, you are a good mom.

Anonymous said...

I know it's easier for me to sit here and say "don't worry" having been through it, but really don't worry. I had speech therapy from the time I was 4 til 4th grade. I think I turned out fine. ;)

In therapy, I remember lots of reading. The therapist would actually send me home with a list and my dad would have to sit down with me and we'd go over the words and the sounds. She may need a little extra help just getting her mouth to form the sounds, but really it's all about practice.

And she will be okay. :)

Evil Brat Child I said...

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I vaguely remember being in speech therapy until Kindergarten. At that point, they realized I actually had the vocabulary of a 3rd grader. I was just really, really shy about talking to anyone who wasn't my mom, one of my sisters, my brother, or a select handful of cousins.

I think we all know what a motor mouth I eventually turned into. ;)