I finally got around to buying The Girl a new sippy cup. Her milk one still had handles on it and she's way too old for that. No biggie but it was kinda getting that old milk crust so might as well spring for a clean, no handle sippy.
Go to Super Target and find a double pack of a sippy very similar to her handled one but without handles and a bit bigger. One is white with green froggies and the other white with pink flowers. When I came home I showed them to The Girl expecting a "Ok, where's my real present?" type of look but instead she was thrilled with them. She made me fill one up immediately (after washing thoroughly of course). She walked around with both of them, fully in love with her 2 new sippie cups.
That was Saturday. On late Sunday, before bathtime, I was busy cleaning the house and there was The Girls old sippie cup, on the counter with *old* milk in it. Yuck. So I knew we wouldn't be using it again so I tossed it in the trash bag I was using........right in front of her. She freaked.out. Wow - was I stupid. I wasn't even thinking. I took it out of the bag but she wanted it and I couldn't let her have it (old milk and all). I gave her her new BFF sippie cup but she wanted nothing to do with it. Her feelings had been hurt.
We go into the other room. I reach down to pick her up but she wants nothing to do with me. The Husband reaches down and she goes right to him. *sigh* I start talking about going upstairs and to the bath - her most favorite thing to do - but all i get is tears. We eventually make it upstairs - crying crying. Bathtub running, a sure fire happy Girl....nope crying crying. I put her in the water...crying crying. I give her the paci....ok, that worked. Happy baby.
You would think my little 21 month old's sadness would be wiped away by a good night's sleep. But by sunrise, she was STILL mad at me. We had a decent sized temper tantrum that morning and she didn't even hug me or care when I left her at daycare. Can you say "grudge"?
When The Husband IM'd me to say he was leaving work to pick up The Girl, I told him to talk me up to her. He replied, "I'll try but she really did love that cup." Thanks dear.
Thankfully, it seemed as though all was forgiven by the time I got home. She was happy and cheery with the colander over her head.
Here's hoping that I don't get on her bad side again.
5 comments:
WOW!!! Watch out for her. Where does she get that from? Which of you holds a grudge?
LOL! I'm sorry that you had to endure the cold shoulder, but that was hilarious hehe
I don't think either one of us really holds grudges actually. Hmmm.
Awe. That was funny, but also tugged at the heart strings a bit. You should send it in to a parenting magazine -- I bet you could get that published!!
For what it's worth, you are a good mom. And fact that your daughter trusts your love enough to get mad at you is proof. Someday, if she ever hears this story, she'll laugh and probably even apologize.
Until then, a quote for you:
"Being taken for granted can be a compliment. It means you've become a comfortable, trusted element in another person's life." --Brothers, Dr. Joyce
Keep up the good work Mom. And don't be too hard on yourself for throwing away old sippy cups. No use crying over spilled milk right?
LoL, I'm sorry but that reminds me of the day care children I use to work with. I had one kid dislike me for a week cause I had to switch out the truck he loved with different toys. He was 3 though.
Post a Comment