Prior to getting married, I was obsessed with wedding shows. Oh reality shows I should specify. I couldn't get enough TLC's The Wedding Story I can still hear the opening music in my head (Love is all there is when I'm with you). Add on whatever other wedding show was popular at the time and I was one happy camper. Critiquing dresses, flowers, and musical choice...I was sure I was going to be a wedding planner.
After 9 months of planning my own wedding, saying I Do, and finally becoming newlyweds I lost nearly all my interest in these wedding shows but something immediately took its place...........Baby Shows. Luckily TLC also had The Baby Story. Find me a reality show about pregnancy, childbirth, and the first few months and I was watching it. I went into motherhood kinda blind so I was looking to drink up as much info as possible.
The Girl made her appearance and baby shows found their way off of my TV set. Afterall, after actually experiencing childbirth and those first couple of months - why the hell do you want to watch someone else go through it on TV? Been there, done that.
So it's been 2.5 years and I've been rather stagnant but I have found a new passion. It started innocently enough. Afterall, in the huge ol' binder of wedding cakes to chose from, there was only 1, ONE that I liked...but let me tell you, I adored the look of our cake (I say look b/c I only had a couple of bites).

Then, casually watching at Food Network Cake Challenge here and there. Then Duff and his gang at Ace of Cakes wow'd drew me in. I enjoyed looking at pretty cakes and even did my attempt at somewhat decorating The Girl's first birthday cupcakes :

Definitely not a work of art but fun and done in the middle of the night.
Anyway, Amazing Wedding Cakes came on TV and my admiration for Chicago's own Cake Girls grew and I just developed this instant passion for cake decorating. I want to do it and do it well damn it.
So I've picked up a new hobby. I'm a bit nervous b/c I honestly don't know if I have the rare talent that is needed for this craft but I'm going to try. I'm teaching myself - watching some YouTube clips, watching these TV shows, reading books, and looking at people's blogs. I just don't have the time for a class right now so gonna see how I do on my own.
My goal is to make The Girl's 3rd birthday cake!
I was thinking of even spinning off a new blog to display all my "masterpieces"...lol, sorry can't help but laugh when I call these yet to be made cakes that.
So that's my new stage. I guess I should be relieved that I'm not obsessed with The Bachelor, huh?
3 comments:
I am obsessed with the bachelor... Damn.... Well, if you see Ed from the Bachelorette hanging around Chi town, hook me up!
I have had to stop watching cake boss... seriously, it made me crave cake so bad!!! LOL Good luck with your new hobby though :)
First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes the baby in the baby carriage.
And just when you thought the story was over ... let them eat cake! Love it -- you're totally cracking me up!
Post a Comment