It never fails. I get all good and excited and have thoughts of a fun filled Christmas and birthday party for The Girl. The problem, it ususally hits its peak a good 6 months out and sputters out.
This year however, I am bound and determined. BOUND AND DETERMINED. to get a leg up on that time of year that causes so much havoc on This Blogger's life.
This past year, Christmas and Birthday 2008 was okay. Just okay. Read back on old posts and you'll remember that the season came up and bit me square in the ass. I wasn't prepared financially or emotionally. I don't want to be in that situation again.
Making matters a wee bit more complicated is the additional $ that will be needed to register The Girl into preschool (that is if she ever gets potty trained)at age 3.
Inspired by some wonderful little ones birthday parties the past few weeks, I started getting excited about The Girl's next party. I really don't want to split up her party as we did last year (one for my side of the family, one combined with her cousins...all born within days of each other but in consecutive years 05,06,07). Too much work, too close to the holidays.
Combine the excitement of thinking about themes (luau or fairy?) with my recent cake OBSESSION...and you got a lots of ideas spinning in my head. Afterall, now I have to make a grand cake for the big day.
I, with the help of The Husband and a co-worker has decided on the luau theme for her 3rd birthday. Since she will never have an outdoor celebration (until she's 21 and running from bar to bar) since her bday is in late December and her party usually falls the first weekend in January - I figured everyone would appreciate a little summer in the dead of winter.
At Target, I even picked up some coconut cups via the Dollar Section. I was so excited to be getting a leg up on my arch enemy...time! As I sat in the car on my way home, I began to panic.
What was I doing? The Girl is old enough to pick out her own theme? I've picked out her last two parties (Frogs for 1st and monkeys for 2nd), now that she kinda talks - she can actually maybe say what she wants. What kind of mother was I for not at least giving her the option of princess or Elmo? ACKK!
So, I'm not 100% sure now. What do you think?
ETA: Just as I was re-reading my post. I totally forgot about the theme we scrapped for last year. A western theme, for those of you who know The Girl's name (which I'm sure is everyone but why break tradition now?) it may make a little sense (maybe??). Grr, add that to the list now too.
2 comments:
I'd let her pick. But a luau would be fun and I don't think it would cause her years of therapy to have a mother who cares enough about her to start thinking about her birthday 6 months in advance! Either way, I'm sure she'll be happy.
Why not do a fairy luau ? LOL
I wish I had themed birthday parties as a kid! (Or even just, parties! hehe)
Post a Comment