Monday, May 19, 2008

Time in a bottle

The Husband and I don't fight much. Really, at all. We're not fighters, we rarely argue, we do bicker at times. I can think of one instance, way back when we were dating that we actually had a fight. We may have had like one since but I honestly couldn't tell you one way or the other. I think part of it is that we don't want to hurt each other's feelings. As soon as tension rises, one of us quickly defuses things and we end up just talking about it.

There has been in our marriage, heck even pre-marriage, that we do however get into it about. It doesn't last long but its the one thing we are drastically different in. He drives me absolutely nuts and I know I drive him crazy. It all has to do with time.

I need to get to places on time - and really, not even on time but early. I get it from my mom and its so ingrained in me that I can feel the grey hairs pop in if we are running late. The Husband however could normally care less what time we show up as long as we show. So there's been this constant struggle for power with this topic in our household.

Enter The Girl, exit any ability to get anywhere on time. I cut myself some slack when she was first born. Juggling a baby, winter gear, car seat, etc makes things more complicated. But now, 16 months into this motherhood thing and I STILL am always running late. The thing is, I can't always blame The Girl. Sometimes I'm late when I'm going out by myself.

I hate it. Hate it. Hate. Seriously, I get so freaking stressed out that I'm surprised I haven't gotten an ulcer. And it seems like nothing I do to combat being late helps. Something, someone will always get me off to a late start. I always have a time in mind that I want to leave. I'm a planner in that respect and I can't tell you the last time I actually got to leave at this time. The Husband is probably beginning to believe that he has won. That he has changed me. LOL, nah, he knows better. I think. I hope. I am better at keeping the annoyance and stress out of our conversations during our ride to my parents which we left to go to 30 min late. Hmm, must remind myself to keep bitching at The Husbad.

I just can't get carefree about this. I can't relax. I need to get back to my old ways b/c I will be in so much trouble if The Girl ends up like her daddy when it comes to getting to places on time. Being late (constantly) is rude. Being early is the way to go.

Yes, I'm a little obsessive about being on time. I better get back on my game before I start yelling at myself and doing push ups as punishment. That should be enough punishment.

No comments: