Sunday, July 27, 2008

Deordorant, Traffic and Bridesmaid Dresses

Yesterday was my friends Debby & Mark's wedding shower. They are getting married in September and both The Husband and I are standing up in the wedding. This is the first wedding for the both of us to be a bridesmaid/groomsman for someone who wasn't a sibling.

The Girl came with me. Now both the bride and the hostess of the shower told me to bring her - I did not ask. So I did with some fear and hesitation b/c as noted before all she wants to do is move, move, move.

So we leave and go get gas. Now, I hate that I was thrilled with $4.09 gas but as I was pulling into the gas station, I had the horrible thought, "Did I put on deordorant??" So I did the check and although I didn't stink (I didn't!) I could feel that there was none on. Crap. You see, I had no idea what to wear to the shower so I tried on outfits for Husband and Girl to get opinions. It sucks that my only female fashion advice just sits on her toy chest and smiles at everything. Anyway so somehow deordorant got skipped in that equation.

My choices were to take The Girl out of her carseat and run into the gas station market. Or drive home and have Husband run out with my deordorant for a quick wipey wipe. What would you do?

I decided to go in the gas station and buy crappy, small deordorant for $2.50. I was concerned about time but after forgetting to actually grab the deordorant and having to walk all the way back to store with small child - it would have been eaisier and cheaper to go home. Ah well.

I really wanted to get to the shower on time (which meant early to help set up being a good bridesmaid and all). The party was at a restaurant on the North side of Chicago. I made the rooky mistake of traveling to Wrigleyville without first checking to see if there was a Cubs homegame in the early afternoon. Of course there was a Cubs homegame! I seriously don't know how I made it there on time but I did. I curse the 3 new grey hairs I got sitting in traffic.

Shower went nicely. The Girl was surprisingly calm and well behaved. She did her running around before and sat in the high chair for a lot longer then I ever thought she would. Say "Yay" for her. I got several very positive comments about her. Proud Momma am I.

After the shower, to avoid the returning *losing* Cubs traffic (I'm a Cubs fan, just an upset one ATM), we went to the hostess' house to hang out with everyone. That's where I finally got to see my bridesmaid dress. I've gone through many emotions about this dress & the size I ordered. I mean I know bridal dresses run small. I ordered 2 sizes bigger for my bridal gown so I knew this would be coming but I'm now a good size and a half larger then I was 4 years ago. Not quite sure why I feel the need to be so honest here. Why can't I say - oh woe as me, I had to order a size 6 and I'm normally a size 2. Well I guess a good 96% of you have met me in real life and know that isn't anyway close to being true but anyway the size I ordered required extra fabric apparently and thus added $20 to the price.
Let's look at my recent thoughts:
1. Boy, I should have been losing weight all these months prior to the wedding.
2. The size i ordered, man i will be swimming in that dress. I'm gonna need so many alterations.
3. If this dress actually fits - I'm gonna be so upset
4. (After hearing some other bridesmaid experiences with their dress) OMG what if it doesn't fit? What if my hips are too big for it??

So I tried it on with the other bridesmaids and thankfully, it fit for the most part - just a few feet too long and too big in the bust area (now that is actually a true surprise). So the hips fit just fine (yay, boo all in one.) I'm not really looking forward to wearing it honestly - its heavy and strapless but I will survive it and look damn good doing so (I hope).

The dress but in plum and a lime green waist

4 comments:

Lori Anne Haskell said...

Wow! That dress is gorgeous, but I dont really like strapless either, so I dont blame ya! :). Glad your sweetie behaved like an angel at the shower, and of course people complimented you on her, she is freaking adorable! :).

Julia said...

Ugg -- it looks like a dress I had to wear in my friend's wedding last summer. I really don't like heavy satin material at all. The things we do for our friends, eh?

Nancy said...

Oooh I love the dress, and Yay for The Girl!!

Anna said...

Love the dress and I think you would look great in it. You gotta send me pics. Of course The Girl behaved-even if she didn't, she's still super cute!