You were so happy and welcoming at 7:35am. You were so skilled that I didn't even feel the needle go in. I give you props. I want to fold you up, put you in my pocket and bring you with me for the next time my blood is drawn.
Needles don't bother me. Sure, not the best way to start my Monday morning but really, blood draws, IVs, etc - not a big deal to me. I've always had good veins which help I'm sure in my non-fear of needles. I use to regularly give blood (and I hope to again soon) and no one ever had trouble finding a good vein to tap into.
Last year, during my medical drama, I was getting blood work and IVs so freaking often that my veins went on strike and decided to hide. To test for the hole in my heart, they had to shot bubbles through my heart and needed an IV for that - it seriously took 4 people and a good hour for them to find a vein. My arms were black and blue after. Husband was a witness to it when I went in for my transesphogalechocardiogram - even using the smallest needle wouldn't work. I don't think the nurses believed me when I told them I used to be so easy. Ohhh then there was back when I was getting my gallbladder scanned and I was injected with radioactive something or other - turns out she wasn't in the vein at all. Ouch.
Anyway, I say all that because the last time I had a needle stick was in Oct or Nov for a follow up MRI and again, stick - stick -stick. So today, I wasn't exaclty looking forward to it. I left The Husband saying "Wish me luck that they get a vein".
So again I say "Bravo" Ms. Phlebotomist. I wish I got your name to send in a letter. You not only got me in 1 try but there wasn't even one drop of blood left on the bandaide.
**
I got my blood drawn in advance of my annual check up. I've actual not had an annual check up (aside from the good ol ob/gyn) since I was a kid. Anyway, that's why I was at a lab or whatever at 7:30 this morning. I was surprised that the small waiting room was already packed.
I was stupid and didn't think that my doc would want a urine sample. See with me, I have to prepare for urine samples. I need to drink alot of water. I didn't do that this morning so I wasn't exactly prepared so I couldn't actual pee on command. So I sheeplishly sat in the matchbox waiting room drinking from a papercone cup continually getting up to refill it. Ya think people knew what I was doing?
So a young guy came in. Kinda dishelved, messy hair, messy clothes - kinda cute though in the it's freaking early type of way. In the convo he had with the desk, I had assumed he was signing in his wife who was in the car but turns out he was signing himself in. You could tell he was upset, sitting with his head in his hands. He was short tempered but you could tell it was out of stress. He said he couldn't remember his doctor's name - it was the first time he had seen him that morning. He didn't know where his order was, maybe his wife had it. He'll be right back. He came back with the order. He became nicer to the staff, apologizing. Insurance card Don't tell me she has that too Again he leaves. Comes back.
I don't know, he's stayed in my head today. I guess I'm worried about this strange guy. I mean something must be up for him to go see a doctor he's never met before 7:30am on a Monday morning and then be sent directly for blood work. It bothered me that his wife didn't come inside with him. I hope he's okay.
3 comments:
Sarah, you are such a sweet woman. That is what makes you, you. The fact that you would notice all that going on with that poor young man. I hope he is OK too.
Also, I wish I could pack up the phlebotomist from Hall St. with me everywhere too. Getting blood from me is such drama, and she has it down to a science. I <3 her.
I know what you mean about the needles. The IVs I had during bed rest and pregnancy were pretty painful. By the time I got out of the hospital for good, I looked like a drug addict.
My husband started to have 'jumping veins' recently too!! They told him to make sure to drink A LOT of water the day before, to be well hydrated, and he seems to be better about it now :) I'm glad this time was easy! :)
Post a Comment