We began by buying a potty seat. We (I) opted for the seat that goes on top of our regular toliet rather then the completely seperate little potty. I went this way for a few reasons. 1. I was told by many Moms that their child never really used the little potty so it was a waste of $. 2. Daycare provider only has the ring. 3. How disgusting would it be to have to clean out a seperate potty? Ew.
About a month ago The Girl and I went out shopping. She got to chose between the nice, cheap white seat with a yellow duckie or the more expensive Dora the Explora seat. Dora it is! Actually, the $4 extra is looking to be worth it as it has taken The Girl some time to even warm up to step near the toliet seat. Saying Hey, come say "Hi" to Dora. has actually helped.
So, we are armed with potty seat and M&Ms as the reward. Like I mentioned, The Girl didn't even want to go near the toliet let alone sit on it for awhile. I was a littl surprised by that since I've been bringing her into the bathroom with me for quite some time - I didn't want her to be scared of the room or the sound of the flush.
I didn't push the issue - I would show her the seat and I'd ask her to point to Dora and her Monkey (she has a monkey). Soon, she would go by the seat willingly and say Dora.
Then the other day, she actually picked up the seat from the floor and put it on the toliet!! That's a step! I sat down on the floor and we started pointing things out. She got all jumpy and goofy and started to move her butt up to the toliet. She wanted to go on it! I put her on it. She stayed for literally a second and she was off. That's okay! She got an M&M and then threw a tantrum because she wanted more.
Talking to The Husband on the way home from work yesterday, he told me that The Girl ran to the bathroom yelling Potty! and was doing her Uppie hand gesture. The Husband put her on the potty and she sat and giggled. 2 M&Ms
So wonderful - I have a 2 year old willingly sitting on the potty. The problem? She is only doing so with her clothes on. As soon as I take her pants and diaper off, and sit her down, she freaks out. Yea, this is gonna be a slow process but that's definitely to be expected. I'm hoping she catches on but honestly, she never even tells me when she's pee'd or pooped so I know I'm pushing the issue at this point - I don't think she's technically ready to be potty trained but I don't think it hurts to start the process.
I'm gonna be buying more M&Ms and being consistent here. Daycare will start when we're ready to be 100% focused on it.
So I'll keep all you lucky guys updated too : ) I'm sure this will become your favorite thing to read about
6 comments:
At the daycare I worked on there was a cute little girl (really little even for her age) who would go on the potty before the age of 1.5 years.
The there was a child who didn't get potty trained till 5. It took him awhile to catch on, but I don't think his parents were quite as involved either.
It's the training part of that word that is the pain. Why can't this be one of those instant light bulb things?
I tried the just put underwear on and let him wet himself until he gets it thing. He wore them all of five minutes before he threw a fit about them smashing his wee-wee. I guess he's not a tighty whitey kinda guy. So we're back to square one.
Progress is good. :)
Okay 3-posts-in-1 comment! hehe
Good Luck on the job hunt! What kind of job are you searching for?
I know I've asked this before.. and I know you told me something about (I think?) your husband's possible genetic disease or something like that? Being the reason why you don't want to try for #2? Have you already written a post about this so that this nosy gal can go read? heh e
Nancy - I don't even know anymore what type of job anymore. Volunteer management, community outreach, part of my problem is that I'm not quite sure what to do.
There's a few reason of not going for #2. One being that DH doesn't want to risk passing on his AS. http://loveandbabycarriage.blogspot.com/2008/06/hlab-27-as-espn.html
The other is my unique auras/migraines.
http://loveandbabycarriage.blogspot.com/2008/05/confirmed.html
Then there's always $.
Well at least she's starting to get the hang of it in some way. Practice, practice, practice...she'll get there.
Sarah -- wow, your potty training style could have come right out of a how to parent manual. The world would be a much better place if there were more mothers like you.
And Sherene ... OMG your comment TOTALLY cracked me up. Don't know why, but I found it hilarious!
Post a Comment