Sunday, August 31, 2008

She parties like a rock star

Okay, so picking up where we left off : )

We got to the Children's Museum at about 11am (Momma got delayed on the computer). It was a cool place but The Girl is still at the age that she was perfectly happy running in circles and ignoring all the activity rooms at first. I finally dragged her diapered butt into the art room where she settled her self with the leggos but in my mind, I didn't pay $7.50 for the both of us to play with toys that she has at home. So I tried to bring her over the mirror where we could put this face chalk stuff on her. Ohhhh no, you'd think I took her from her favorite place in the world. SCREAAAAAAAAAAAAM. Okay then.

Anyway, we managed to explore some other areas. She really liked that thing where the ball goes down different things and the other things move and the ball goes down more. Any idea what I'm describing? She also really liked the toy car room. She didn't mind the other (mostly older) kids who were a bit more aggresive. As it neared lunch a little switch clicked in my beautiful and serene daughter and that was the beginning of the end. Screaming and crying. Crying and screaming. Finally - for me, being in a building full of children, I wasn't all that concerned with making a scene. But how in the world was it possible that she was the ONLY child in the damn place crying?

So we went to the lunch area (a freaking pretzel place - not really my idea of a great restaurant for a children's museum but that's just my opinion). She's still crying. I get her yogurt and myself a pretzel and a drink. We sit down and I let her feed herself and she's finally happy (yay!). Then i do something stupid. I want to fill up my cup and none of the workers have offered to help get me a high chair or a drink and I can't leave her alone so I pick her up. Bad mistake. That sets her off for the rest of lunch. I can't figure out if its her teeth (she's been a mood monster for a couple of days now) or if we're in the Terrible Twos now.

The semi funny thing? I'm not getting any nasty looks from the various parents sitting around me. I'm getting the nasty looks from other kids! I wanted to smack them! Since I couldn't do that, I gave them nasty looks back.

Since this was a child centric place, I decided not to yank her out but let her go to one more place even with temper (b/c it really may be pain from her teeth) and go to the water room. She loved it - loves the water. Only problem with that - we had to eventually leave that area. So really, didn't have the best of times.

She fell right asleep on the way home, waking up once we got home. The park idea was out just for the matter of not having time. The Girl and I eventually got ourselves together to go the festival and ended up meeting Husband's family there and soon after Husband and Bluncle (the black uncle - its a Scrubs reference. Seriously, I'm married to a version of JT and Turk).

We eat and eventuall go out to the field where the Beatles band will be performing. Its a football field so The Girl who doesn't look tired yet and is again cranky for not being able to walk gets to go off and run around. Problem was there were lots of big kids out there playing with balls - soccer, football. The Girl really likes to play too. So she goes out there and a soccer ball comes at her and she runs up and kicks it. It was so cute! But I didn't really want her getting in the way of the big kids so I was trying to detour her around them. Oy. Not fun.

Finally, the family gathers and The Girl starts looking tired (she should be EXHAUSTED by now). The Beatles come out and The Mother-in-law comes and takes The Girl....and dances with her. Very cute, The Girl was boogey down with the best of them but after awhile you could tell The Girl was just trying to amuse her grandma. Finally, during Twist and Shout, The Girl got Twisted to sleep and she was out for the rest of the night. I got to enjoy The Beatles live - they were really quite good - with The Girl passed out laying on the blanket next to me. She's like me, she can sleep anywhere. Quite honestly if I had closed my eyes, I would have fallen asleep too.

At the end, my master plan did not work out of course. I don't think they ever do to tell you the truth. Maybe I should read this passage once I think of another master plan that involves planning around my daughter.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

No, unfortunately, I have NO idea what you described with the balls going down and downer.. lol