Catching your child's puke in your hand. Ohhh yea. *sigh* So I figure, half of you are saying, "I hear you honey - happens to all of us." and the other half "Oh Thank God I don't have kids" and one is saying "So glad I was sitting further away from her then you were...haha".
Since I started dating The Husband, I've attended Thanksgiving in Kentucky with him to see a part of his family he rarely gets to see, normally only that one time of year. We missed one year after refusing to travel the 8 hours but more so refusing to even harbor the thought of giving birth 8 hours away from home when I was 8 months pregnant. Its normally a semi nice time - a long drive but a quiet get away and a chance to see some wonderful people and its only interrupted by occassional family drama. Hence the reason why I can and may write more then one post about my southern adventure.
Got there Wednesday afternoon and all was well. Turkey Day went swimmingly and The Girl charmed the pants off everyone, of course. Friday came and we were mostly on our own, visiting a cousin's house for her internet when it was decided to go out to dinner with cousin, her 16 year old daughter, and the family friend traveled with us. We returned back, planning on only staying for a little while. The Girl was being her joyous self but soon settled down, and quite honestly I didn't even notice, she started walking over to me....vomit. No warning, just blah, all over the floor (thank god for hardwood). Poor little thing - didn't know what hit her.
So that was the first time. I think it was the 2nd time I actually caught it with my hand. Why? Not quite sure. I guess it was an effort to not ruin this woman's floor. Completely useless effort but a heartful one. We eventually got smart and got a bucket. The Girl just kept getting sick and eventually nothing came out and she started taking it out on the bucket. She screamed and hit it, didn't want anything to do with it - would much rather turn and puke on Mom's shoulder.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nothing sadder then seeing your child sick and feeling so helpless because 1. you don't know what's wrong. 2. There's nothing you can really do to make it go away.
Oh, at the same time, the 16 year old was getting sick too. Fun house.
We stayed there that night. The Girl slept on me on the couch and The Husband slept nearby on the recliner. After she finally settled and stopped puking, I woke up to the all night marathon of Mork and Mindy on the Sci Fi network (thanks Hubby) and proceeded to the bathroom where I got sick...and to add the cherry on top of that. My period started. Not that I was hoping it wouldn't start but my period kicks my ass now and was the last thing I needed being sick and facing an 8 hour car ride in a couple of days.
I cuddled back up to The Girl and got a couple more hours sleep. Thankfully she was all bright and cheery the next day (some blessings) and I was sick for the rest of the day (small curses). But truly, better her then I. Husband was teetering on sickness and turned out others in the family came down with the virus too. Nasty little thing.
Next day was our trip home which I was all better for. I guess that was good. No need to stop for a bathroom every 20 minutes. But I keep thinking back to catching my kid's puke in my hand without a second though. Its totally nasty - I get that but it didn't gross me out at all. Now that's unconditional love if I ever could describe it.
5 comments:
You'll be telling stories of that memorable holiday trip for years to come!
I have no idea why the reaction is to catch it - not like two hands can hold much anyway. I guess it makes us moms feel useful?
Hope you enjoyed your trip despite all the puking. :)
Gah! Count me in the crowd that says "Thank God I don't have kids!"
That definitely is unconditional love though, and I completely applaud you for it. Glad you were all feeling better for the trip home!
Gallon Ice Cream Buckets... great for kids to throw up in. lol
There was an old trick where someone use to say, "I'm taking all the hurt in my hand, scooping it up, and throwing it away." while rubbing a child's stomach. It semi works - I used it at daycare. But at least your her mom, compared to us who usually weren't the people the children wanted.
Bravo on the hand thing, I would have done the same. I hope The Girl feels better soon.
Aww, that is true love! When I was a kid and I puked, (even in the toilet), my mom used to get incredibly mad at me! hehe
I am so in the "Thank God I don't have kids!" crowd. LOL
My youngest nephew pukes a lot. I won't go into the reasons why. It is too long to get into on a comment.
This summer, when I went to go visit my oldest sister and her 3 kids, he puked up massive amounts of elephant ears and funnel cake in the minivan. It was all I could do not to throw up myself; let alone help him. She caught the puke in a paper plate from the front seat.
Moms are sooo bad a$$.
Post a Comment