Monday, April 28, 2008

She won't remember him

One of my friend's best friend's husband was killed in Iraq last week. They have a daughter a few months younger then The Girl. My heart just broke even though I had never met them. My friend had kept me update about this couple since we were so close in our pregnancies and we were the first 2 people close to her to have children. I would always ask about them - especially since I knew he had been shipped overseas. I kinda felt like I knew them in a vry distant way.

I'm heartbroken for the little girl who will never know her father. A man who loved his daughter but will never get to walk her down the aisle. My own grandfather was killed in a practice flight (he was a Marine) when my mother was a couple of years old. She thinks she has some faded memories of him but she's not sure if she's just made them up. Her mother never talked about him - probably just a bi-product of that generation but still, my mom grew up not knowing her own father and how much he had loved her.

The wife/mother now has an overwhelming task that I hope she does take on. One in which that little girl will have constant, lifelong reminders of the father that she never got to know. No matter where life takes the mother, even if one day the little girl grows up with someone else in her life, she will know her father through pictures, stories, and the love around her.

My heart aches today for all those who have lost a parent. Especially those who don't have a memory of the hugs and kisses that parent bestowed upon him/her. Its a fear of mine that I can't even begin to express.

No comments: